History

The Nauraushaun Presbyterian Church has a long history beginning in 1852 when a community of faith known as the First Universalist Society of Orangeville began worship in a sawmill on the Nauraushaun creek. A stone from its foundation now sits in the hallway off the Narthex. 

In 1856, a small white church was built and dedicated, just up the hill from The Sawmill, on land donated by Tunis D. Cooper. In 1902 members of the Universalist Society signed a lease granting Greenbush PC of Blauvelt the use of the church for Sunday School Services. 

In 1927, Nauraushaun purchased the White Church from Greenbush and petitioned the Presbytery of Hudson for incorporation as the NPC. Reverend Thomas Moore-Smith continued to serve both Greenbush in Nauraushaun until 1934.

Over several years stated Supply ministers served the church. The congregation grew and in the 1940s a building fund was started. An addition was added to the church to provide a school room and a manse.

In 1951, Robert Wieman was ordained and installed as the first full-time pastor.

In 1955, Reverend Wilbur O. Daniel was installed as Pastor. 1956 saw the opening of the Tappan Zee Bridge and the population of Rockland County exploded, as did the NPC. Seventy four new members were added to the roles that year.

In 1957, 3 acres of land were bought from Morris Van Houten as a site for future needs. Another building fund was started to build a larger church. Many wanted a traditional design but the final vote was for a contemporary style. Money was tight and members of the congregation did a great deal of interior work. In the spring of 1962, the new church was dedicated.

Construction of an educational wing began in 1967 and was completed in 1971. In 1969, the first section of the Columbarium was built.

In 1975, Reverend Daniel resigned. Reverend Don Poole was named interim pastor.

In 1976, The little white church was sold to a Russian Orthodox congregation. In 1977, Margaret Holland was called as Pastor. She resigned in 1981. In 1981, Sandy Shaw became pastor and resigned in 1989. Reverend Robert McClure became interim pastor.

In 1991, Reverend Jean A. F. Holmes was called as Pastor. In 1994 we became a Covenant Church with Habitat for Humanity. In 2003, NPC became a More Light Presbyterian Church in order to take a public stand within the denomination to be open and inclusive of all people regardless of sexual orientation.

In July of 1994, Reverend Jean Holmes resigned after 12 years as Pastor. Reverend Lori Ferguson became moderator. In January 2005 Reverend Jill Russell was welcomed as interim pastor.

In August of 2006, Reverend Laura Cunningham was installed as our new pastor. Reverend Cunningham resigned in June of 2015.

In March of 2016, Reverend Bebb Stone was welcomed as interim pastor.